Perinatal Orientation & Education Program (POEP) & Simulation/Skills Days
The POEP & Simulation/Skills course provides the foundation for Perinatal Nursing. The focus of the Simulation/Skills Days is to promote application and synthesis of the POEP Module as it blends on-line learning with four days of simulation scenarios and skills stations. The 15 POEP Modules are provided by Association of Women's Health, Obstetric and Neonatal Nurses (AWHONN) and consist of:
- Reproductive Health & infertility
- Preconception & Inter-conception Health
- Physiologic & Psychosocial Adaptation to Pregnancy
- Process of Labor & Birth
- Perinatal Safety & Risk Management
- Complications of Pregnancy
- Perinatal Infections & Perinatal Loss
- Postpartum Assessment & Care
- Newborn Assessment & Nursing Care
- Neonatal Complications
- Cesarean Birth & Post Anesthesia Care
The Simulation/Skills Days consist of case study scenarios that use of full body, human-like patient simulators for practicing bedside management of patients with complex disorders, including assessment and treatment.
The focus of the Simulation/Skills Days is to allow hands-on practice and promote application and synthesis of the POEP module content, while allowing the participant to practice critical thinking, communication, decision-making skills and interventions in a safe learning environment.
POEP and Simulation/Skills Days
To prepare for each of the Simulation/Skills Days, participants must complete the corresponding POEP Modules, which range from 16-20 hours depending on the component content.
Course fees include access to the required on-line modules
- Must have 2 - 4 months Unit Orientation prior to attending this course
- Must have completed "Introduction to Fetal Monitoring Course"
- Must have completed correlated POEP Modules and Post Test with 80% accuracy
- Must present Completion Certificate the morning of the Simulation/Skills Day session
$799 - Consortium Sponsored Hospitals
$975 - Non-Consortium Sponsored Hospitals or Community Member
Simulation/Skills Days ONLY (available on a limited basis for current Perinatal Nurses as a skills refresher)
$160 per day.
COURSE COMPLETION CRITERIA
- Successful completion of all POEP Modules
- Pass post test 80% accuracy
- Attend all 4 Simulation/Skills Day sessions in their entirety
Association of Women's Health, Obstetric and Neonatal Nurses which is accredited as a Provider of Continuing Education by the American Nurses Credentialing Center's Commission on Accreditation. AWHONN is approved by the California Board of Nursing, Provider #CEP580 for 67 CE Hours